Points of Interest
230 North Ingalls Street
Charles Baird, a former athletic director, offered to give the University a set of carillon bells from England. The U-M Club of Ann Arbor raised the money for a clock tower as a memorial to President Marion Burton. The tower houses the 53-bell carillon.
William W. Cook Law Quadrangle
625 South State Street
Dedicated in 1934, this stunning building is modeled after the Tudor-Gothic styles of Cambridge and Oxford. Stop inside to see the beautiful library.
1398 East Ann Street
This cultural treasure is the second-oldest building on U-M’s campus and the first observatory in the state. After a complete restoration in 1998, the building now stands essentially as it was in 1854. Public viewing nights are hosted in conjunction with the Department of Astronomy.
The Diag is the center of the original 40 acres gifted to U-M by the Ann Arbor Land Grant in 1837. It is a popular meet-up place and the preferred site for pep rallies and demonstrations alike.
Gerald R. Ford Library
1000 Beal Avenue
This presidential library is located on North Campus. It offers exhibits, special events, and education partnerships as well as research assistance.
Matthei Botanical Gardens
1800 N. Dixboro Road
Here you’ll find display gardens, trails, natural areas, and a conservatory and gift shop. Free and open seven days a week. A donation is welcome.
911 North University
Women of the University raised the $1 million necessary to erect this stately building. It opened in 1929. Inside, you’ll find a hotel, restaurants, study lounges, beautiful rooms for meetings and events, and the 650-seat Lydia Mendelssohn Theater.
530 South State Street
John F. Kennedy spoke here in 1960 while campaigning for the presidency, and announced plans for what would become the Peace Corps. This iconic building is the center of campus activity and houses restaurants, study areas, a bookstore, convenience store and more.
Museum of Art
525 South State Street
The Museum of Art includes collections, exhibitions, programs and educational exploration. Visit the website for gallery hours and happenings. A $10 donation is appreciated.
1610 Washington Heights
Located near University Hospital, “The Arb” is a year-round haven for nature lovers. It features a fabulous peony garden and several collections of historic and native plants. The Arb is free and open seven days a week, from sunrise to sunset.
This North Campus student hangout offers a variety of food options, cozy nooks, study spaces, a bookstore, computer shop and meeting rooms.
1109 Geddes Avenue
This facility houses a planetarium, the state’s largest collection of dinosaur skeletons and displays highlighting Michigan’s prehistoric past. The public is welcome. A donation of $6/person is suggested.
MLibrary offers vast collections of print, audio and video, electronic holdings technology, and creative facilities.
Bentley Historical Library
1150 Beal Avenue
The Bentley Historical Library collects materials for and promotes the study of the State of Michigan and the University of Michigan. It is open without fee to the public and welcomes researchers. It houses 11,000 research collections.
William L. Clements Library
This beautiful facility was designed by Albert Kahn and and houses original resources for the study of American history and culture from the 15th through the 19th centuries.
At this North Campus library, you’ll find the Art, Architecture and Engineering Library as well as the Digital Media Commons, which features visualization and virtual reality technologies.
Harlan Hatcher Graduate Library
913 South University
U-M’s primary collection for the humanities and social sciences is housed here, as well as the MLibrary gallery which hosts exhibits, presentations, and the Audubon Room with its rotating display of treasures from the library’s collection.
This may well be the most beautiful building on the University of Michigan campus. It contains one of the world’s best collections of research materials: more than one million volumes and 500,000 titles.
Shapiro Undergraduate Library
919 South University
Located just off the Diag, the UGLi supports undergraduate learning and scientific inquiry. It is home to a collection of books and periodicals, Bert’s Café and Bert’s Study Lounge.